Check-Out & Internet Policies
- Loan Periods
- 4 Weeks | Art prints
- 3 Weeks | Books, paperbacks, CDs, CD-ROMs, kits, books on cassettes and CDs, and travel bags
- 1 Weeks | Magazines, "Top of the Charts" books, and non-fiction DVDs
- 3 Days | DVDs
- Loan Limits
- Patrons are limited to 30 total items including the following limitations:
CD-ROMs: 3 per person
DVDs: 6 per person
Non Rolling Meadows cardholders are limited to 15 audio visual items.
- Reserves (holds) can be placed by Rolling Meadows cardholders at any of the public computers or public service desks located within the library, and from any Internet capable computer outside of the library.
- Email Notices
- Would you like to receive your library notices by e-mail? Stop by the Circulation desk and give us your email address. You can also add your e-mail address through our Online Catalog. Once your e-mail address is on file, in addition to hold and overdue notices, you will also begin to receive our Courtesy Notices, which are email reminders of items to return soon.
Courtesy notices are not sent for items which have a loan period of 7 days or less: DVDs, magazines, and Top of the Charts books.
- Late Fees
- Adult materials | 10¢ per day
Juvenile materials | 10¢ per day
"Top of the Charts" | 25¢ per day
DVDs | $1.00 per day
Art Prints | $2.00 per day
- A 24 hour book drop is located near the main entrance of the library.
- Lost or damaged materials
- Replacement cost plus processing fee will be charged.
- Computer Usage
- The Library offers 24 computer stations with Internet access and Microsoft Office software on the main floor in the Reference area, 5 of which have a scanner attached for patron usage. There are 8 youth only computer stations with Microsoft Office on the lower level in our Youth Services area.
- Laptop Usage
- There are three ethernet hook up stations available on the main floor in our Reference area for patrons who wish to bring their laptops into the library to access the internet. Sign up is the same as for the walk-up computers, no library card needed and a 30 minute time limit if other patrons are waiting.
- Internet Usage
- The internet is accessible on computers located in the Reference and Youth Services areas that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Patrons are asked to limit their time on the walk-up Internet computers to 30 minutes if others are waiting to use the computers.
The library also offers internet access for longer periods of time to all Rolling Meadows Library cardholders in the computer lab. Any cardholder of the library who wishes to access the internet in the computer lab must read and accept the library's computer usage policy. Patrons may sign up to use a computer in the computer lab for up to two hours Monday through Friday and for one hour on Saturdays and Sundays. Reservations may be made in advance by calling the Library. Patrons without a reservation may use a computer in the computer lab if one is available and they have first signed in.
The Collection Development Policy adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Rolling Meadows Library states that the professional librarians on staff are responsible for the selection of all material, print and non-print, that is added to the library's collection. In keeping with this policy, the library has installed software on all computers that attempts to block retrieval of internet sites that could be considered pornographic. It is important to note that no software can completely block out all objectionable material and parents/legal guardians are encouraged to guide their children in exploring the internet while sharing with them the family's personal views about acceptable use of the internet. The library's internet policy is available by clicking here.
If you have any additional questions, please contact the library at 847-259-6050 or
use our website's Ask a Librarian feature to submit your question online.